Monday, September 30, 2013

Apple and Date Bran muffins

When I was a teenager (which lets face it was a while ago now!) I put together an exercise book filled with all my favourite family recipes. 20 years later I still have the book and I use it often. Unfortunately the book is getting to the stage where it is so stained I can hardly read the recipes, so I am going to use this blog as a place to record all these recipes before they have vanished for good.

A few years ago muffins were "the thing to cook". Although I don't cook them as often as I used to, they are so quick to make and bake, and eaten fresh there is nothing better. This muffin recipe is one which my Mum used to cook when we were kids, the bran is a nod to the "wholefood 70s/80s" of my childhood. Every time I walk into Common sense organics as an adult I am immediately transported back to the wholefood cooperative shop in the small town I spent my childhood in, where Mum used to buy such treasures as bran, dried pineapple and carob powder.

These muffins don't contain any egg, and the butter and milk can be easily adapted to suit those who can't eat dairy so they cover a few allergy bases. I made these recently to take to a shared morning tea at playcentre, another nod to my 70s/80s childhood, which Ellie and I have recently started going to.


Date and Apple Bran Muffins

1 c flour
1 c wholemeal flour
1 t baking powder
3/4 c sugar
1/2 c grated apple
3/4 c bran
100g butter
1/4 c golden syrup
1/2 c chopped dates
1/4 c milk
1 t baking soda
1/4 c milk

1. Preheat oven to 180 C and grease a 12 pan muffin tray, or put muffin papers in it.
2. Mix the flours, baking powder, sugar, apple and bran together.
3. Melt the butter, golden syrup and dates together. Add the first measure of milk and bring it almost to the boil.
4. Dissolve the baking soda in the other measure of milk.
5. Mix everything together until just wet. You may need a bit extra milk if it looks too dry.
6. Bake for 15 - 20 mins.

Eat fresh on the day they are baked or freeze for lunches.

No comments:

Post a Comment