Sunday, January 13, 2013

FILL YOUR LUNCHBOX WEEK: Bacon and Egg savouries

 I have had a few requests for lunchbox ideas. My eldest is back at preschool this week so it is timely for me as well, and a good challenge to try and serve up something other than sandwiches! So this week I am going to challenge myself (and you) to serve your kids up something a bit different for lunch.

Bacon and Egg Savouries

If I serve up my usual bacon and egg quiche for dinner or lunch my girls turn up their noses at it, or pick off the pastry and leave the filling. I decided I would see what they did if I served up little savoury sized pies, and it was a resounding success. I made them in mince pie trays which have holes that are a bit shallower than muffin trays, although muffin trays will work fine, you just may need to put a bit more filling in and cook them a big longer. The recipe made 18 savouries, heaps left for lunches, and also a small pie for Nathan and I to have for our dinner.

4 sheets ready rolled pastry (you could make your own or use unrolled)
1 onion, finely chopped
1 capsicum, finely chopped (optional)
6 thin rashers of bacon (use less if they are big)
3 eggs
3/4 c milk or cream
Handful chopped parsely
Grated cheese to top.

1. Preheat oven to 200 C fanbake
2. Line muffin or mince pie tins with circles of pastry. I also used one sheet of pastry to line a small square baking tin to make Nathan and I a pie.


3. Fry the onion, capsicum and bacon in a little bit of oil in a frying pan until onion and capsicum are soft.
4. Put teaspoonfulls of bacon mix in the bottom of the pastry cups. I put the leftovers in the pie for Nathan and I.
5. Whisk up the eggs with the milk/cream and parsley.
6. Use a ladle or a small jug to pour the egg mix over top of the bacon mix. Don't fill too full as it will puff up. Top with a little grated cheese. I did the same with the little pie for Nathan and I.
7. Bake for about 12 mins until puffed, cooked through and edges of pastry golden but not over-cooked. If you make a bigger pie it may take longer.
8. Serve warm or cold. They freeze well for lunches. Just put in lunchbox to defrost during the day.

3 comments:

  1. Loving the blog Sara. I have seen loads of yummy recipes to try. I will try making these as I need some yummy things for break time. I am lucky (or unlucky - depends how you see it) to get a school dinner for lunch so I only need to sort my self out for break time.
    Also, once I start having babies I will be ordering some of your clothes as they look gorgeous. You have been so busy since I have been away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle
    Sounds like you guys are still having a great time! Any plans to come back on the agenda or do you still plan to be there for a while?

    ReplyDelete