Saturday, January 12, 2013

Chicken and Potato Bake

After I had my second daughter my dear friend Amy turned up with this for our dinner (despite having a 2 year old and 3 month old twin girls herself!). It is delicious and real comfort food, I had to have the recipe. The cream makes the healthiness of it somewhat questionable. I have made it with evaporated milk before, it tasted fine, although the sauce was much runnier than with cream. You can also substitute some of the potato for kumara, which my girls love.

Chicken and potato Bake

8 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thickly
2 chicken breasts, chopped into 1cm squares
1 onion, chopped
200ml cream
1 T dijon mustard
Cheese and chopped parsley to top

1. Preheat oven to 200 C
2. Cover the potatoes with water, bring to the boil and boil for 5 mins to parboil. Drain and put aside.
3. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan and fry the onion until softening over gentle heat.
4. Turn up the heat to medium and add the chicken to cook through.
5. Take off the heat and add the mustard and cream, mix to combine.
6. Take a flatish baking dish (I use a ceramic one that I make lasagne in). Layer 1/2 the potato, 1/2 the chicken mix and repeat, ending with chicken mix.
7. Top with grated cheese and chopped parsely and bake for 20 mins.
8. Serve with salad or veges, we had corn on the cob with ours - yum!!!

1 comment:

  1. Our family gate crashed the speight household when this was being made and it looked easy peasy and quick.

    ReplyDelete